Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Grieg Girl Graduates





What can I say about Miss Lena? I met her when her brother started lessons in 1998. She was a baby and her mom would do the mom things to entertain her during the lesson. Coins from her purse. Raisins and crackers. When she was ready to start, Fall of 2001, it was with the usual ease of a second sibling. She knew the drill. She was a little shy at the first couple recitals, those other kids were pretty big and intimidating (seven years old) by then. But we didn't fuss and in time she marched up there and did her thing. Lena has always done her own thing. It's not always easy to be the younger sister, no matter how much you grow, there is always someone around who is taller. But Lena has marched to her own beat. 

I don't remember what age she was when she got the hair cut. It was a stacked bob and this was her childhood trademark. I remember her playing A Short Story and we lined up six round magnets for the six phrases and she rounded them all! 

Lena has played for all the visiting master class clinicians, Doris, Chris L., Catherine McMichael, Reiko, and many many others. I've always been proud to show off her beautiful tone and expressive playing. 

I don't remember (I guess I'm losing it. . . ) when she started with the Grieg thing. You know, the adolescent stage when the kid falls in love with a composer and you do whatever it takes to keep them in the studio and keep them loving and playing piano. For a time we were the all Grieg all the time radio station. I'll take it. 

One of my favorite things about Lena--when she would come into lessons with a lot on her mind--like all high school kids do from time to time--even if the music was rough or she hadn't achieved everything she hoped for the week, once we were into the piece--I would see the secret smile. The secret smile that would come across her face--that she thought her mother couldn't see--that she thought I wouldn't notice--and that smile told me that everything was going to be okay. The Grieg took. 

Sure enough. Beautiful tone. Beautiful heart. 

Lena is off to Luther down in Deborah, Iowa. Her brother will still be taller than her there, but I'm quite sure she will still make her own path. She is studying wildlife biology and taking some art classes but she hopes to take piano lessons and play her trumpet in some ensembles. The Grieg took. 

I learned a lot from Lena. In addition to all the Grieg that I had never taught before, that is. I'm still learning about little sisters with tall big brothers. Thank you Jonelle, for paving the way for me in so many, many ways. 

In the photo below, I'm holding Calvin and expecting Mary. Lena is the last and littlest of this group--she's in the aqua stripe dress, which got handed down to Mary and worn to shreds. A lot of Lena got handed down to Mary. After the big kids left--it wasn't so easy for Lena to hang with the next generation. She hung in there and I couldn't be more proud. Dr. Suzuki says, beautiful tone, beautiful heart. 

Lena, my dear. . . there is a lot more Grieg out there. We've only scratched the surface. I'm sure Luther will be a great place to tackle it. You are a beautiful girl, inside and out and it's been my complete privilege to walk this path with you for the last fifteen years. I'm gonna miss all your smiles.  Blessings to you now and always. I can't wait to hear your program Friday night and celebrate with you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment