Tuesday, November 20, 2018

But of course. . . the Messiah (Christmas Music 3)




My husband used to tease me about securing the Christmas clothes in mid-September. Eventually he caught on to my wisdom. Once the programs start. . . there isn't an intermission. This year. . . eight Bravo shows in December. Alas, no more red and green knit vests and Hannah dresses. . . black. . .black. . and more black. Black pants, black shirts and black socks. And wash them between shows.

Still, the piano playing, the singing, the dancing. I loved it all. I loved watching my kids. I even love the drumming.

Of course one of many people's favorite Christmas programs is Handel's Messiah. The cult following has its favorite recordings and performances. Just about everyone has some memories surrounding the oratorio.

My first? In eight grade, driving with my mom to Decorah, Iowa, to Luther, to listen to my sister sing with the Luther choir. It looked so short on the program. How long can a few lines of text take? My mom and I got epically lost on the drive home in Iowa fog. Back then iPhones weren't even a twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye. GPS, not. Not even an open gas station. How brave she must have been to just keep driving till she got her bearings.

The second? Four freshmen instrumental music majors in DeKalb sneaking into a practice room and trying to sing four part harmony and play the accompaniment of "For Unto Us a Child is Born" in some sort of homesick slightly tipsy attempt at Christmas spirit. My husband may or may not have been one of those friends.

The third? My dad. His solo was always "the people that walked in darkness." If there are small town church choirs in heaven he's certainly singing and conducting at the same time probably with a better accompanist than I was in high school.

And now? It looks like Ben our director is hoping to sing "Comfort ye, my people" in December. If that doesn't church you up, what will? Comfort is something we are always looking for in Minnesota. It's my favorite solo and I'm hoping to do the accompaniment justice.

My recording is on the Philips label. On period instruments--the Monteverdi Choir with the English Baroque Soloists under John Eliot Gardiner.

https://www.amazon.com/Monteverdi-English-Baroque-Soloists-Gardiner/dp/B0015REYOK

youtube: For Unto Us a Child is Born

If you are one of the Messiah groupies. . . leave a comment with your favorite recording and/or memory.
Sara






No comments:

Post a Comment