Monday, October 24, 2011

Dolphin Tricks

This weekend we saw the children's movie Dolphin Tale.  It reminded me of my summer playing in the band at Sea World of San Antonio.  Seven days a week with daily temps of 105 degrees, polyester marching band uniforms, and black vinyl arch-less shoes aside--what I remember the most was the dolphins.

After the midnight show the band would walk to our cars along the back employee sidewalk behind the night-time dolphin tanks.  Every night the dolphins would be playing--doing the same tricks and routines they did all day in their shows--but with no audience, no trainer, and no little fish treat as reward.  They did tandem leaps, jumps and flips in perfect harmony all for the joy of it.

I've thought about that a lot.  My friend's children go to a private school that is supposed to facilitate a lifetime love of learning.  One of the ways the school does this is to postpone the grading and testing system.  I've thought about that a lot too.  I thought about some of the tests I studied so hard for and then flushed it all down the cranial toilet on the way out the final exam door.  Texas Government 101 comes to mind.  Graduation requirement.

I'm still reading Drive, by Daniel Pink.  He suggests that there are three elements to motivation: autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  He suggests that carrot and stick type rewards might be appropriate for repetitive menial tasks (read: m&m's for laundry and toilet cleaning. . . ) but anyone who ever did anything of true value did it for the joy of it (read: midnight dolphin tricks).

Steve Jobs comes to mind. Autonomy. Mastery. Purpose.

Ba hum bug to Texas Government 101. . . it is the only class I ever got a C in.
(Sorry Casey, I know it was an easy A for your pre-law gang. . . )

I'm going to put more thought into Pink's three elements and come up with some concrete ideas to apply to piano, or gymnastics, or math or whatever my kids happen to get into. Please Lord, let it not be the ukulele and silly bandz.  Stayed tuned-and please comment if you have suggestions.   You can also email me at sskotrba@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment