Friday, October 28, 2011

The Universe is God's

Neolithic Nick came home in the backpack.  This is one of the reasons a host of Christian parents have chosen to home school their children.  Fifth grade science at Deerwood tackles evolution.  Some tears of confusion were shed.  "That's not what I learned." That's not what it says in my Bible.

Deerwood is a very diverse school.  This might be hard for you to believe, being that we are in suburban Minnesota, but it is true. Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and Christian kids are sitting next to each other at lunch.  Growing up in rural Iowa we had diversity too.  There were LCA Lutherans and Missouri Synod Lutherans.   And a few Catholics.  There were also some Baptists but they were out on the edge of town. . .

Regarding religious diversity at the school, I wouldn't expect the teacher to engage the classroom in a Christian discussion.  She did the kind and appropriate thing, suggesting to Calvin that he talk to his parents and his pastor about his beliefs.

So, we talked.  Funny how long these discussions can last right before bed.

I told Calvin what I believe.  That conflicts in science and religion do not bother me.  At all.  I'm okay with the mystery.  God's time is not our time.  I'm still gonna ask the questions, but I'm okay if I don't get all the answers.

I love it when I find someone smarter and more articulate to back up what I have felt instinctually.  Madeleine L'Engle is the author of A Wrinkle in Time.  In her devotion book,  Glimpses of Grace, on pages 282-283 she writes:

. . . I was asked about creationism vs. evolution. I laughed and said I couldn't get very excited about it.  The only question worth asking is whether or not the universe is God's.  If the answer is YES! then why get so excited about how?  The important thing is what we are God's, created in love.  And what about those seven days? In whose time are they?  Eastern Standard Time?  . . . Solar time?. . . What about God's time? What matter if the first day took a few billennia in our time, and the second day a few billennia more? . . . some form of evolution seems consistent with our present knowledge. . . but if I should find out tomorrow that God's method of creation was something quite different from either creationism or evolution, that would in no way shake my faith, because that is not where my faith is centered.  Thank God.  If my faith were based on anything so fragile, how would I have lived through my husband's dying and death?  How would I continue to live a full and loving life?  My faith is based on the wonder that everything is contained in the mind of God, all that we can see, all that we cannot see, all that is visible and all that is invisible.  All the laughter, all the pain, all the birthing and living and dying and glory, all our stories, without exception, are given dignity by God's awareness and concern. 

Thanks Madeleine.  Calvin, I hope that helps.   Now, it is way past your bedtime!  Lights off.

No comments:

Post a Comment