Sunday, June 20, 2021

New England with the Boy

 

The boy and I took a trip to Maine and New Hampshire. Family time is important, but sooner or later we all long to be loved alone. Between Bill, Calvin, Mary and my mom, there have been all kinds of duet travels, but this was my first trip with just Calvin. 

He planned most of the planes, trains, and automobiles for this trip. I didn't have to hold his hand on the escalator, or get his food in the buffet line. I didn't pack his suitcase or remind him to bring his toothbrush. I didn't give him a lecture before going through security. He navigated. 

A fifty-three year old and a nineteen year old traveled as companions. 

I highly recommend it. 

Travelers



1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    While reading your blog entry today, I realized you write so very much like Grandpa Gene wrote. Ray and I have been reading his book together, and he uses the words, "I highly recommend ..." several times under similar contexts of gratitude. But it's more than that. Your styles and tones are delightfully aligned with his. With that said, I highly recommend that everyone have a sister exactly like you. It's something that I don't take for granted.

    You've mentioned how we all long to be loved alone before. When you mentioned it again today, I realize what I powerful truth that is. I remember how Mama inherently understood that, perhaps because she was one of nine siblings. It makes me grateful that she lived her life with the determination that every single one of her children and grandchildren would be treated as the the essential experience and feeling of being loved and celebrated "alone."

    Love you so very much!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete