Saturday, April 27, 2013

Alec Goes to Cyclone Country



My senior Alec has made his college decision. He's going to Iowa State University in the Fall.

I have some history with ISU. Both of my parents graduated there in Ames, Iowa. My dad in agricultural finance and my mom in home-ec and phys-ed. As a child I was dragged across the state to every home football game. Donning our cardinal and gold we stopped for breakfast in the Amana Colonies. You didn't know this about me, but at one point in my life I knew the strategies and rankings of college football, as good little girls were not allowed to run around under the stands. We had to sit and watch the game, timing bathroom breaks so as not to miss the highlight of the day, the marching band at the half-time show. My dad had season tickets on the 50 yard line and Saturday after Saturday we huddled under blankets on the concrete bleachers, my dad listening to the game on the radio while we watched the real thing. . . Dinner after the game at the Broiler. On the four hour drive home we slept in a cosy bed across the back of the station wagon.

Once I got some pom-poms and once I got an ISU jacket which I proudly wore all through high-school much to the dismay of my Hawkeye friends.  

Alec started lessons with me at MacPhail when he was three. I remember one group class where the boys were acting up. There were a lot of little boys in that group. . .   Alec's dad came and scooped him up and I heard him crying all the way down the hall. After a very long time they returned and Alec was red-faced from the tears. I never saw Alec join in the ruckus again.

I learned a lot from Alec's lessons. Even when he was very little he always looked me in the eyes and spoke loud and clear. Every week they came through the big oak door. We played through the Book One repertoire. I asked his mom how practice was going. Well, she said--we play through every song right hand, left hand, and hands together everyday. Then we add a new phrase. Oh. That's it, she said. No drama. No trauma. So that is what I did at the lesson. We played each song and I would add one small idea or detail and apply it to all the songs. Exactly as Dr. Suzuki imagined. The review as a tool to build skills.  No drama. No trauma. Alec never had to go back and relearn French Children's Song or Minuet Two. They just had a routine. In Book Two we started a reading method and he did those assignments faithfully every week. In fifteen years, I don't think he has ever interrupted me or noodled at the piano while I was talking.

Disciplined. Respectful. Polite. These are words I would use to describe Alec.

Every kid is different, but please don't confuse this extreme politeness and respectfulness with a lack of creativity or musical energy. Alec always has a twinkle in his eye and a lot to say as soon as you ask him. He just also has that fruit of the spirit called self control. This is what I try to instill with partial success in my own kids. It's not that it's 100% necessary all the time, but it sure makes the child easy and fun to teach. It also made Alec really pleasant to be around.  For many years he had the last lesson of the day, but I always looked forward to it and felt reenergized when we sat down to do the work.

I'm really going to miss his quiet presence in the studio.

Alec recently went down to Ames to visit ISU one final time and it turns out they stopped in and saw the piano professor there and Alec played for her. Suzuki students always have something to play, especially those like Alec. Upon his return he announced to me that in addition to studying engineering there he plans to pursue a piano minor.  Wow! Okay.

I asked Alec why all the sudden this last minute addition to his academic agenda?  He replied, "I've been playing piano for so long, I just couldn't imagine not playing."  I can't even write that without getting tears in my eyes.  Isn't that what we wanted?  To raise kids who love music? Who can't imagine life without music in it?

I'm going to miss that kid. I can't wait to see how the next chapter unfolds.  I love it that he will be one of those engineering majors who sits down and Rachmaninoff pours out of him. I love it that he gets to work with collegiate faculty in the Fall. I hope I can help him pick out a little repertoire for this summer.  One last gesture of any control or influence I get to have. . . before I pass the torch.

Thanks Nicole and Mohan, for making the drive all these years. For sticking with me down here in Eagan. Thanks for all the lessons you didn't know you taught me. I'll miss you both too!  Congratulations, Alec!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment