Saturday, April 13, 2013

Greetings from the Land of Eternal Winter

I feel like we went through the wardrobe with Peter, Edmond, Susan and Lucy and now we are under the spell of eternal winter--Narnians unite--to fight the evil queen and return to springtime.

Spring is a state of mind anyway. I have learned whatever state I'm in to be content, but sometimes I'm more content in a warmer state like--say Texas or California.

Here in Eagan we got about a total ten inches off and on all week. Enough to slush things up, because really, all the plow guys are home drinking beer by now, as they should be. Our shovel is broken and I ain't gonna buy a new one this year.

I don't think the goldfinches look very pretty against the white backdrop. They were in the photo above, you may see a speck of yellow. They got a little shy and asked me not to post their photos on the blog. They got duped--flying north just a little too early.

Papa and Mama Mallard have been on the snowy back hill this week, daily quacking out their profanity and searching for the open water on the frozen pond.

Someone on Blackhawk Road turned on all their outdoor Christmas tree lights on Wednesday night.  Those big old-fashioned colored C7 bulbs.  (I know this because I live with the world's expert Christmas light repair child). I guess I was not in good enough humor to think that was very funny.  Christmas in April. . . ha ha ha. Forced laugh.

It's snowing lightly now. Again. The thermometer is stuck at 32 degrees. The kids can wear their snowsuits over their swim suits for swimming lessons this morning.

My mom bought me a six pack of pansies, they are waiting on my window sill. Their little faces are hopeful and sweet. She also bought me a bunch of daffodils and they are still in a vase on the worktable, trumpeting out the message that it is warm and sunny somewhere.  The flowers Bill's folks and his sister gave us for Easter are there too. It's all good. We can make one last fire in the fireplace today. Cosy down in our flannel one more weekend. I am content. Even in the land of eternal winter--the state of Minnesota.


No comments:

Post a Comment