Sunday, February 20, 2011

Count Aloud or Else. . .

Mr, Patterson, my childhood piano teacher made me count aloud.  It is written in my lesson notebook every week, week after week after week.   Count aloud.  Please, count aloud.  Do it again, and count aloud.  I bring out this ancient notebook with Snoopy on the cover, and show my students that this is true.  It also says play more slowly over and over and over again.  That is another blog entry.

I ask--no beg--my students to count aloud, when learning their reading pieces.  These are the pieces from the Alfred, Faber and Faber, or other method books.

They don't seem to want to do this.  There is considerable resistance.  I don't know why.  It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  But, they don't want to.  Maybe they don't want to count aloud because they don't really understand the rhythm.  Maybe they don't like the sound of their voices. There are probably other reasons too.

I tell them, counting aloud is like wearing a seat belt. When I was little we didn't have to wear seat belts in the car.  My mom only made me wear them when it was snowing. It wasn't the law.  It felt so uncomfortable and awkward.  Now, after all these years of new seat belt laws, I wouldn't dream of driving without my seat belt.  I feel safe and comfortable.

There is something magical about counting aloud.  Counting aloud to the lowest subdivision of notes ensures that the student truly understands the rhythm.  Counting in your head, or having mom count isn't good enough.  Tapping your foot never seems quite right for classical piano either. When the student is resistant, I ask them to count aloud only a few measures at a time.  Then as counting becomes a habit, I expect them to count aloud all the time.  I even had a rubber stamp made the says "COUNT ALOUD."  I can stamp this on the music page each week when necessary to remind the child.

Musically, another bonus is that counting aloud can help with phrasing. Pianists don't need to take in air between phrases like wind instruments and singers.  Using your voice can help clarify when to breath at the end of a phrase. It also ensures that the student is taking deep breaths.  Pianists sometimes hold their breath.  Counting keeps oxygen flowing to the brain.

I count aloud when I practice.  I'm recommitting to making sure all my students are counting aloud at the lesson and at home practice.  When counting aloud is a habit, it feels safe, like wearing a seat belt. The rhythm is solid. Parent and teacher know that the student understands the rhythm.    

No comments:

Post a Comment