Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Love of a Six Year Old

"Mama, I'm just so happy with myself."  
Mary said this to me three times in a row at church on Sunday, hugging herself each time.  It was a moment of pure innocence and love.  I wished I could somehow get those feelings in a bottle and quick put the cork on to retrieve another time in the future when she might not feel so content in her skin.  I thought about how I wished we all could have more moments like that, completely happy with who we are.  Deep down I think most of us know that who we are is not our hair, skin, weight, and all the external things we get caught up in and distracted by.  It isn't even our talents and intellect. Who we are, is just someone to love. Sometimes it takes a six year old to remind us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment