Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"I Think I Just Discovered the Fun of Playing. . ."

This is a real quote.  Mary said this to me the other day when it finally became easy for her to play The Happy Farmer.  Like many students, these Book Two pieces have not come easily for her and they are taking a long time to settle in.   Mary is the kind of pianist that forgets things if we skip them even one day.  That makes it harder.  Practicing everyday, since January has been very good for her.  So at last--when she really felt comfortable on the dastardly Schumann tune--you know what?  She wouldn't stop playing it.  She was truly having fun.  Funny, I just had the same experience myself.  I was practicing my piece for the Houston workshop recital and I got the last A section memorized and up to tempo and you know what?  I couldn't stop playing it.   I wanted to play it over and over and over.  When we are free from the physical and mental difficulty of the music, that is where the joy, maybe even the addiction kicks in.

Sadly, I think I have students, and have had students that quit, who never got there.  They never work quite hard enough to make it easy.  To be free.  I have been there many times myself.  There are many other reasons students struggle, but if all we ever get is the struggle, of course we want to be done.  For the day.  For the week.  Forever. . .

I have a student who often pretends to dislike playing, but when she really gets it I see the secret smile on her face.  We have to work hard enough to get over the hump.  The airplane has to get off the ground. We have to hang in there until we discover the joy and freedom that come when we really lift off.   Of course parents and teachers are in charge of gassing up the engine and making sure that the runway is smooth and clear.   (Several jokes about parachutes and oxygen and seat belts and fire extinguishers just came into my head. . . but I'm gonna end that metaphor before I take it too far. . . )

Suffice it is say, we are in charge of setting up the success of our young people.  Orchestrate joy. Facilitate flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment