Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Colorado Suzuki Institute Day 1 With Students

Today was the first day in Colorado with students.  Beaver Creek is a luxury community.  All the places we are staying in and teaching at are very high end.  Wow.  The surroundings are absolutely astounding.   Beautiful mountains in every direction (although the above photo is actually Montana, I haven't had time for taking photos here) and the landscaping around the hotels and condos is gorgeous.

But alas, we are here to work and work we do.  I had six hours of teaching today including four hours of masterclasses, one duet class and one repertoire class.  Then the honors recital.  Then a faculty dinner to honor two of the esteemed faculty. I have 29 kids ages 8-14 in Suzuki Books 2-5.  I have seen many kids from Texas institutes and some from the Twin Cities.  That was cool.

When I talked to Mary on the phone this afternoon, she wanted to know the names and ages of all the kids I am teaching.  "What are they playing, Mama?"  She wishes she were here to make friends with all of them.  That is a great part of these institutes.

The students are all very well prepared and anxious to learn--what a pleasure.  The piano faculty has been so welcoming, there is a very nice vibe here--we are all on the same team and I truly appreciate that.  I am the rookie here and I am fine with that.  My roommate actually walked me to the location of my afternoon classes--no small favor as it was uphill all the way and we were gasping for air in this altitude.  Then she had to walk back down. . . but I didn't get lost and waste any time.

A couple of my focuses today were getting down to the bottom of the key for a beautiful sound, and looking for clues in the pieces--to make decisions about phrasing.  Also many kids worked on sparkly leggiero scales--using the combination of active fingertips and relaxed arm weight.  Pluck and drop.  Try saying that several times in a row.

If you have never been to an institute, you are really missing out.  What an awesome thing to have time with your family and learn music at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment