Thursday, June 30, 2011

Greater Washington Suzuki Piano Institute Day 4--Goodbye

Those of you who know Mary know that she is not much good at goodbye.  That's okay neither am I.  I am just too old to holler at the top of my lungs and scream and cry for an hour.  I would probably be healthier if I did.

So Mary said her goodbyes. To Emily and Vivian and all the teachers.  She made a card for every one of them.

We had a good year.  I enjoy getting fresh insights from the teachers.

Monday, at her first parent discussion Fay Adams asked the question, "what are your expectations from an institute."  I did take some time to reflect upon this.  Ultimately why do we spend our money and bring our kids all the way across the country for a four day piano camp?  Especially at this age.

Perhaps since I am teaching my own kids, there is a part of me that needs validation from other teachers whom I respect.   That is one honest answer.  I need to hear that I am on the right track.

Maybe I want some cathartic revelation for my child, some moment when he will see the big picture clearly and decide to always use his best hand position. . .

I also know that the teachers will say a lot of what I already say at home.  That is a different kind of validations--kind of a big "I told you so" for my child.  Practice slow, get your hands up and over, listen to the sounds, watch the finger numbers--same story different author.  See--all the teachers are saying the same thing.  We must be right.

We come here for a boost.  Calvin learned two new songs this week.  Mary got back all her songs and started to really polish her Minuet Two.  Just spending all day at music for four days gives them a boost.

The kids get exposed to excellence.  The excellence of the faculty teaching and performing.  The excellence of other students they can aspire to.  That is really important to me.  Surrounding my children with excellence.

But, when all the compliments, motivation, inspiration and constructive criticisms have long since been forgotten, what do we have left?

Our goodbyes.   The friends and teachers that we see year after year.  We will miss you.  See you next time.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment