Friday, June 24, 2011

Colorado Suzuki Institute Day 4 With Students

I am having such a lovely time here.  I am really enjoying the students and the other teachers.  Seeing the kids for a full week truly allows you to get to know them a little more deeply than when you just work with them for the weekend.

I told the families here that we have had three main points this week:

  • Getting set up at the piano--that is--continuing to improve on using gravity and having a comfortable natural hand position.  Getting to the bottom of the key.  Leaving out pedal when necessary. . . boys, you know who you are.
  • Thinking of clues to interpret the music--sequences, textures, conversational elements, harmonic functions. . 
  • Way to practice effectively--hands alone, super slow, sets of snippets, and metronome work.
Tomorrow is the last day.  There will be recitals for all the pianists.  We have been working on a piece all week.  It is hard to get it all done--just like at home.

I'm starting to miss my family.  Bill is trying to do it all--work and get groceries and practice and still get some sleep.  Thank you Bill.  I'm having a crepe for dinner and walking around the plaza, stopping for a glass of wine.  Usually he is having the steak dinner at an out of town business meeting and I am home eating popcorn for dinner.  Tra la la.  I'll be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment