Monday, June 20, 2011

Colorado Suzuki Institute Day 1

I'm sitting in the Denver airport on the way to teach for the week at the Colorado Suzuki Institute. I'm excited. I have such good memories from this place. I did my books five, six, and seven teacher training here with Doris Harrel. What a blessing that was. If you are out there reading, Doris, I'm assuming it was you who recommended me to the folks here. Thanks. I won't let you down. I'm sorry you are not here. I miss you.

During those years I had many students coming out here--Lauren, Aidan and Lena, Cassy, and Katelyn an Kelsey. Kids get older, move away, things change and I haven't had kids out here for a few years. It was fun to show off those kids-working so hard!

Then came the visits with my own children and Bill. Calvin was so little and over-stimulated by the hotel and the elevators, the pool and all the PIANOS. Preparing him to play The Happy Farmer on the honors recital almost gave me a nervous breakdown. Having your own kid perform in front of your teaching mentors and peers is not for the faint of heart.

The kids loved it. And they grow!  Anytime you focus on something for a whole week you grow. The kids grow, the parents grow, and the teacher grows.

As a parent, I know how high my hopes are for my kids at these camps. It costs a lot to travel and attend them. You want the kids to have a positive musical experience, but you also want some tangible growth and learning to go on.

So that is my promise to the kids out here: we will have fun, but we're also gonna get some work done this week. See you this afternoon at the orientation. I can't wait to meet y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment