Monday, August 29, 2011

New Beginnings. . . or. . . Getting into the Routine

Minnesota summer is coming to a close.  The State Fair is selling all manner of deep fried items and it is getting dark earlier.

I'm so excited!  We are about to return to normalcy! School starts next Tuesday!

Calvin is so bummed.  Well, with a summer like his, I can't blame him. We did a lot of really cool things. Normal life is looking pretty drab.  If there was a Harry Potter spell to extend summer, you can bet he would use it.

I believe the reason I love Fall and love being in a routine is because I have a deep rooted fear that if I actually relax for too long I might slip into a gummy bear induced coma and never return to productivity.  Today I put away the five pound bag of gummy bears I have been reaching my hand into all day for the last few weeks.  Both kids had a full and productive piano practice.  I put the listening on the stereo.  Wow.  It felt so good.  I didn't do any web window shopping. I even got together with my TV yoga guru Tara Stiles for a half an hour.  All in one day.  After I write this I am heading up to practice piano for a while.  Double wow.

I seem to have two modes.  Self control.  No self control.  Productivity.  Coma.  Either I'm eating healthy and exercising, practicing and practicing with the kids, taking my vitamins and drinking plenty of water, or. . . everyone is sleeping in and eating gummy bears all day.  In Mary's case this summer it is bubble gum.  I'm not sure if it is a mid-west thing, or a Lutheran thing, or just my own mental fragility, but I don't handle the coma too well.  Guilt.  Guilt.  Guilt.

Today was the first day of the new beginnings.  "Getting into the ROOOUTINE," as Maggie would say. Pre-Fall.  One week to go means starting to go to bed earlier.  I even read "Farmer Boy" with the kids and did their devotion before bed.  It is a tough act to follow for tomorrow.

But, I'm gonna try, because my deepest instinct tells me that I function the best and am the happiest and most productive when I am in a routine.  I also believe that most children operate best that way too.

For the first time this year Calvin was saying he was dreading school.  To be clear, I do not think he is dreading school, I think he is dreading not being able to play wizards and ukulele all day.  So, we drove by the school and saw his teacher list on the door and the kids in his class, and then went to Byerly's and picked out new ice-cream to eat before bed on school nights.  He wrote in his journal that he has a good teacher and all his friends are in his class.  He smiled.  Teacher, friends, ice-cream.  Getting into the routine might just be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment