Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Freezer Door

This entry is not about music, children, teaching or faith.  So feel free to skip reading it.  It is just me gently expressing my feelings about someone in my family leaving the basement deep freeze door open.  This was discovered after the door had been open for about a week.

I am refraining from posting a photo with this entry.

If I was going to post a photo, it would be of the cats licking up the mysterious gelatinous mystery meat substance on the concrete basement floor.

Several friends and relatives have expressed their sympathy, but not that effectively.

My own sister accused me of trying to "one up" her story about leaving her make-up bag in the car and having her eye liner melt all over.  As if this even compares.  She doesn't have the health department breathing down her back about salmonella, botulism and e coli.  Eye liner isn't going to stink up the garage for a week until the miracle of urban trash collection occurs again next Monday.  Oh wait, Monday is Labor Day.  No trash collection.  Heavy Sigh. . .

My sister-in-law sent an email talking about what food we are bringing to the cabin this weekend--much of which is coming from her "tightly sealed" deep freezer.  That's so funny.  Just for those comments, I am going to let Calvin bring the ukulele to the cabin with us.  I told Calvin she especially likes to be serenaded in the shower.

I am also refraining from posting a list of the wasted food.  Suffice it to say--the whole turkey, bags of chicken, shrink wrapped fish, frozen chili and pork roasts didn't mixed that well with the broken open blue popsicles and tipped over melted ice-cream cartons.  A person doesn't think twice about putting a lidded pyrex of chicken noodle soup on it's side when it's frozen!  Funny things happen when things expand and contract.  Byerly's soups are not that expensive.

Whilst I contemplated renting a has-mat suit, Bill was wining and dining with the folks from Disney Cruise Lines in Florida at a five star hotel.  He's so lucky those roses were still on the counter top.

In some ways, it will be nice to have a fresh start.  The truth is we were never gonna eat the salmon my dad caught in Alaska on his last fishing trip, but I didn't have the heart to throw it out either.  Tender moment.

I've been told this happens to everyone at least once in their life.
I didn't hurt the kids.  I didn't even accuse or yell.  Didn't talk about children starving in Africa. I just recounted the monetary amount of every food item as they hauled it out to the garbage bag by bag.

That's all I have to say about the freezer door.

No comments:

Post a Comment