Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Miracle Moms



Bill just dropped the kids off at school after our crazy weekend.  I went around the house looking for my coffee.  I found it on a shelf in Mary's closet. Cold coffee. At 7:59 a.m. I was frantically taping photos onto Mary's Star of the Week Poster, which I remembered at 11:00 p.m. last night.  Thank you, Lord, for the ink levels in the photosmart printer.

I'm thinking of the miracle that we pulled off this weekend.  Saturday was the piano recital at our house, I'll write more on that later.  Sunday I played with the choir at two regular services, the kids had choir practice, Mary had her first gymnastics competition, Calvin played handbells and was Herod in the two pageants.  I made it to every event.

I'm not alone.  I'm thinking of all the moms that pull this off all the time.  I know there are a few Dad's out there who are chief operating officer of their family life and they know who they are, but let's face it, most of the time it is the moms.

I have the best husband in the world, but even he who juggles mass amounts of data for a living was looking glassy-eyed at breakfast yesterday when I ran the schedule by him.  He had to go and sketch a spread sheet of the day. . .

I'm thinking of a mom in my studio who managed to get four kids ready to play, and they all played lovely.  I'm sure the two younger siblings sat nicely and quietly while they older kids practiced so diligently.

I'm thinking of my pastor friend who juggles work and family life with such grace.  She is one of my heros, always smiling and never complaining like me.

I'm thinking of my own mother, who taught junior high home-ec when I was growing up.  She worked long hours and yet always managed to pull a Christmas with all the trimmings out of Santa's bag.  I don't know how she did it.  She is my hero too.

Here is to all the moms who trim the proverbial tree, sometimes with help and sometimes alone.  May you be safe, and healthy, and find your moments of peace within your heart as you make Christmas special for your little and not-so-little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment