Thursday, December 15, 2011

Happy Hearts & Glitter



Report cards came home last Friday.  In homeroom the kids get a grade for listening and following directions.  This never goes over so well at our house. Could it be that my kids just have so much on their minds that it is unbearably hard for them to listen and follow directions?  Or are we just not strict enough?  It is true--how many times a day to I have to say Mary. . . Mary. . . Mary. . . before I get her attention.

How can you learn anything if you are so busy with whatever it is in your own head at that moment the teacher is. . . . . what?  I'm sorry. . .what did you say?   Sorry. . . hey, can we get out some glitter and glue and make a Christmas tree?

I digress.  No wait--it was Mary that got me off track again.  To work on this I instigate the happy hearts game at the piano. I love this game. Basically--you relinquish any pianistic goals. The only goal is listening and following instructions--with a happy heart.  I draw a heart with a happy face in the middle of a piece of my famous white card stock.  Every time she does what I say without me repeating it she gets a tally.  Each tally is worth a nickel.  Or a hug.  Or ten tallies equals an airplane ride.  Or m&ms if it has been a particularly taxing day.

It is a glorified "Simon Says."

We have had two great practices already this week, just by using this game.  And pianistic goals were met after all.

I have also had students play the "yes Mom" game.  If the student can't/won't do what the parent says at the practice, then stop everything else and make compliance the goal.  It is not a power trip, it is the only way we can learn.

Somewhere between chaos and squashing my children into conformity I'm trying to find a balance.
I want to make that glittery tree too--it's all in the timing.

Yes. . . mama. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment