Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Joyful Haste

Come, dear children, don't be dallying,
All the family now is rallying,
Not a moment now to spare,
joyful haste is in the air.
There are nuts to crack
and candies to make,
and birds to stuff
and cookies to bake.
There's many and many a thing to do,
which we have done before.
For Christmas, blessed Christmas
is here once more!

Now begins a mighty scurrying,
each to do his task is hurrying,
All to finish he contrives,
Ere the glorious day arrives.
There are gifts to wrap
and cards to write,
and secrets kept with great delight,
there's many and many a mystery
behind each closet door.
For Christmas, blessed Christmas
is here once more!

O was there ever such a jolly day?
Fam'lies gathered for the holiday.
Home is filled with dancing eyes,
laughter, love and glad surprise.
There are friends to see
and prayers to say,
and songs to sing in rondelay,
There's many a lovely memory
of Christmastides of yore.
For Christmas, blessed Christmas
is here once more!


My mom is arriving for Christmas tomorrow night.  I'm filled with memories of my own grandparents arriving on Christmas Eve, the house spotless and candles aglow, oyster stew on the stove.  Presents wrapped and under the tree.  We were scrubbed and tubbed and hair in curlers ready to open gifts and head out to church at 11:00 p.m.

My house is a wreck.  The candles are making me sneeze. There are Christmas 2011 CDs of Calvin's in every stage all over the countertop.  There is wrapping paper all over the living room floor.  I'm going to have to buy some more tomorrow in spite of my herculean effect to be organized and not run errands at the last minute.  Bill has the computer printer out on the dining room floor furiously printing Christmas card envelopes in between conference calls.  Sorry to report that you will not be getting a hand written note on your card--if you get one at all.  There are four loads of laundry to fold on top of the drier.  Cat litter.

Suffice it to say, loving mother, that there won't be oyster stew on the stove as you pull in the drive tomorrow.  I will be at choir practice, faking my way through four anthems for Christmas Eve.  Can I pick you up a Subway sandwich on my way home?  Chips?  Soda?

I am defeated.  I can't do it all.  I'm sorry.  I give up.
I'm going to bed and some of the presents might get Hello Kitty gift bags instead of coordinated papers from Hallmark.  I went ahead and made appointments for the family to all have rapid strep tests tomorrow, just as a precaution. . . usually tomorrow is the day at least one child wakes up throwing up with a 102 temp.  Tra la la.

But, I still love it.  I love Christmas.  Don't let my complaining fool you.  "Come Dear Children" is still my favorite carol.  I still contrive to finish ere the glorious day arrives.  Joyful--well mostly joyful--haste is in the air.



Christmas Blessed Christmas is here once more.

1 comment:

  1. My mother emails me--that I do not remember the chaotic days PRECEDING Christmas. . . only the magic of the day. Bill concurs that his mother wasn't in such a great mood the day before his grandma arrived either. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete