Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Elephant in the Room

Charlie, always there when you need him. . . 

He still loves me. . .he just won't admit it
Friday night we had dinner guests from Africa, Pastor Mwafute and Professor Ilomo.  Pastor Mwafute is the pastor of Easter's companion congregation in Tanzania and Professor Ilomo is guest professor at Luther Seminary this semester, he's also from Tanzania.

I'm not sure what possessed me to ask Pastor Paul if they needed anymore invitations.  Maybe I felt like any exposure we can give our kids to other cultures is good.  I like to cook and we like to entertain, so why not.  Maybe I just felt like it.  Pastor Paul fit us into their busy schedule.

I gave the kids the business beforehand.  I didn't say this to them exactly--but what I was trying to express was--you are gonna be spoiled suburban American kids no matter what--so you better be really, really, really nice and polite spoiled suburban Amercian kids.  They did good.  I was proud of them.

Calvin and Mary put on a little concert and we all sang some hymns we knew in common.  Pastor Paul, his wife Sally, Dan, Amelia and Annika Coyle joined us and I thought we had a lovely time.  The grown-ups sat around and table and talked after dinner.  We exchanged stories about our families and cultures and religion.  Dr. Ilomo turned out to know my Aunt Mary Jo very well and that was a nice connection--she had helped edit some papers for his thesis back in Africa.  Small world.  We overcame the language barriers and I really enjoyed the conversation!  We have so much in common--love of music, love of family, and of course love of God.  Everyone was pretty smiley and light hearted.

It came time for them to go and as often happens when you meet someone, we were all exchanging contact information and taking some pictures. Mary was huggy.  Dr. Ilomo requested my aunt's email and I gave him that.  It's not like we'll all be life long pen pals or anything, but it seems like the right thing to do to at least have a way to contact them if you ever wanted. I asked for Pastor Mwafute's email.  He didn't have one.  My first thought was that they must not have internet or a computer. No, I was reminded, it's that their village doesn't have power.  No electricity.  Well then.

The elephant in the room. . .

It was very lovely to sit around the table and share and focus on what we have in common but truly there are some fundamental things we don't have in common with our companion congregation--electricity. . . plumbing. . . adequate food and water. . . healthcare. . . . education for everyone.

I realize I'm late to the party--my aunt, my cousins and Pastor Paul have been involved with Africa for years and years.  But it does make you think, and maybe someday we will go and visit and we will need that contact information--that physical address--that we got.  Maybe by the time our children grow up and their children grow up they will have those same things in common--family, faith, music--but maybe even more things--like some of the basic needs we take for granted.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment