Sunday, February 26, 2012

For Emmett

Tonight I dedicated my piano practice session to Emmett Mackenzie, long time Easter church member who passed away yesterday.  A little Beethoven goes a long way.

I didn't know Emmett as well as most long time Easter members probably knew him, but I loved him anyway.  I knew him as you know someone from chit chatting with them briefly after church for ten years.

You learned about his life in little pieces of conversation over dixie cups of church lemonade. Bill actually knew him better and bought and read the book Emmett wrote about his time in World War II as a B-24 nose gunner. Rumor has it Emmett also wrote a high school calculus textbook.  He was one smart and brave man.

He was a smart and brave man who also loved music.  He was still singing in the church choir during my first round as accompanist.  During those summer Sundays when Easter members share extra music, and I would play some Mozart or Chopin, he always had some insightful comment.  I always knew Emmett was listening out there.  Even when he had trouble hearing, he was listening.

God bless you Emmett.  Bill says you looked at him with the twinkling eyes of an eighteen-year-old right until the end. Bless you for protecting our country and for teaching math and for listening to my Mozart.  We'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment