Sunday, February 12, 2012

Religion and Politics

My dear friend Michele came over today to work on scrapbooks.  As often happens the conversation turned to theology.  We talk about this or that controversial book.  She tells her side.  I tell mine.  At the end of the discussion we both come out whole.  We didn't change each other's ideas, but we came out whole.  I love these afternoons.  Please pass the half and half.   I made it through the end of the 2009-2010 school year with enough double sided tape.  Praise the Lord!

Some of the most dear people in my life are staunch republicans.  And some are die-hard liberals.  Some are such-and-such denomination and some are not.  Some are Missouri Synod and some are ELCA.  Yikes.

I don't think I'm being wishy-washy when I say that I'm really not that interested.

We're are going into an election season and I'm staying quiet.  Switzerland.  Perhaps this is a survival tactic.  All I want is an acknowledgment that there are highly educated and God-loving people who take the same set of facts and come up with different values.  And they feel VERY strongly about them.  Very strongly. . .  

Folks--the other side is not stupid.  I know them.  I met them and they are just like you only on the other side.

I love the people in my life.  And my love for them trumps all their ideology and their theology.  Yes, even their politics.

The jokes on us when we meet Buddha at the pearly gates and he explains that communism really had it's merits.

No comments:

Post a Comment