Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Suzuki Yoga


I'm trying to do yoga.  I take a class at the Eagan rec center when I can but most days I end up at home with my friend Tara.  Tara Stiles.  She's on my television.  I don't know how--I'm not the technology person of the house--but there she is with all her routines, just waiting patiently for me each day.  She is such a good friend to me.  She says things like, "great job"  and she says, "you can try to do this, but if you can't it's okay, you have your whole life for this stuff."  It's all about making it easy.  When it is easy you are ready for the next thing.  Never hurry but never quit.  If that feels comfortable you can try this. . .

This attitude has slipped over into piano practice with my kids.  Mary, that sounds great, as soon as you are ready you can think about keeping your fingers a little rounder.  Let's make that echo really easy.  Calvin, when you are ready and feel really comfortable with the notes, we can really dig into the phrasing.  It is the same with gymnastics--gosh Mary, you really have that cartwheel--pretty soon you'll be able to add those pretty hands. . .  I see the change instantly.

When things are easy and we are invited to do more, we are ready and we come of our own accord. I guess these are two different but valuable thoughts.

Making it easy is not my theme--it is Edmond Sprunger's.  If you don't have his book Helping Parents Practice, Ideas for Making it Easier please order it tonight.  It is a practice bible.  He is a violinist and a psychologist.  I think that's a dangerous combination, but I reach for this book every time I start to feel resistance from my child at the piano. Unconscious competence.  (Not my phrase either. . . ) It's all about making it easy.

The invitation to do more?  It is all in the tone of voice.  My husband and I have a joke phrase--in a trashy southern accent--how'm I supposed to (insert your own task) unload the dishwasher when yer so busy telling me to unload the dishwasher?  We want to do the task on our own, without being reminded or forced.  When I tell Mary, "when you are ready, the next thing will be the balance,"  she wants to be ready. She is ready.

Part of my understanding of yoga is being okay where you are, but always striving to do more.  And breathing. It is like that with health, and it is like that with life.  Music too.

Both my kids have been in a good groove with practice lately, and I think my yoga practice is part of the success.  Thanks, Tara. . . . you are such a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment