Wednesday, March 28, 2012

In Defense of Martha

I subbed on piano for two lenten services today.  The scripture was the same for both: the Luke account of Jesus, Mary, and Martha.

". . .  a woman named Martha welcomed Jesus into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

This is the most disturbing scripture in the whole Bible.

We all know without Martha, the world would be going to hell in a hand basket within hours.  Chaos would reign. Wouldn't we all just LOVE to be Mary.

The kids are home for spring break and in their mind the week is a free for all.  A week long episode of playmobil town that easily transpires into a wrestling match. With loud music.  Freedom. I, on the other hand have a long list of tasks for myself and them.  The epic struggle.

My mom used to holler up the stairs on Saturday morning, "don't even think about calling a friend to come over and play.  This is a work day."  Heavy sigh. My sister and I would hate that.  Payback is such a bitch.

What I really wish Jesus would say is, "Mary, let's you and me help Martha get this place in shape, if we all work together it won't take long, and then we can all settle ourselves down for a nice little devotion."

I get it.  But perhaps Martha has some mental condition in which she is physically unable to focus on what Jesus has to say until she has herself organized.  How can I sit and listen to the Lord of the Universe if I don't have my shit together?

Pastor Paul was comforting in his meditation on the scripture--he added something along the lines of--seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you.  We don't have to give up having our act together--but we have to have our priorities straight and that means Martha putting Jesus first.  

Relationships first.  The rest second.  I went ahead and took the kids to the park.

But!  Not until after Calvin vacuumed the downstairs and Mary hauled my six bags of mulch to the back yard. So there.

It is the same with piano practice.  We have to put the relationship with the child first and the practice goals second.  Sometimes I forget and muscle through, but it always backfires.  Sooner or later.

Sara, Sara, you are worried and distracted by many things.  There is need of only one thing. . . 


Love of God, love of family, love of the child. .   and all these things. . . will be added unto you.




No comments:

Post a Comment