Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pep Fest

Future Good Looking Drum set Playing Heartbreaker

Senator Daley with Calvin in the background

My Schmoo


Calvin with Mayor Maguire
Congrats to Deerwood on a really fun and exciting pep rally to celebrate our $100,000 grant from the Target corporation.  Lindy Pfaltzgraff wrote the letter recommending Deerwood and Target and the Ellen Degeneres show picked us as the only school from Minnesota to receive the grant.

The band did a great job--I honestly don't know how our band director Susan Smith does it.  These are only fifth graders who have only been playing these instruments less than a year.  It is amazing.  Sounded better than most high school pep bands.

Our music teacher Mrs. Schoen always pulls a rabbit out of hat with the music.  She took Calvin's song and put actions with it and divided it up for solos and chorus and I thought it was really super cool.  Of course, I realize I am the doting mother. . .

I couldn't get that great of a video because Mayor Maguire and Senator Daley were in my way of seeing Calvin.  (That is my Minnesota Lutheran way of bragging about my son. . . deal with it. . . )

Calvin did just fine.  All of the sudden this morning at 5:55 I thought, dear Lord, I haven't heard him play that song in a while.  I asked him to run it while I brushed my teeth and he got ready for 7:00 a.m. band practice.  I gave him very little advice except the usual--don't go too fast and also--make sure to play really loud--it is one upright piano versus 500 kids singing--oh, and SIT DOWN.  I watched the rehearsal at school, and committed myself to not saying one word.  Mrs. Schoen only had to tell him to SIT DOWN at the piano four times.  And, as every good accompanist will eventually be reminded--watch me. . . give me a cue. . .

But he did it--with a smile on his face--because of course he knows she loves him.  That's all it really takes.

So the school gets a new playground and countless other amenities.  Thanks to Target and the Ellen Degeneres Show and Lindy Pfaltzgraff.

Here is a link to a web-stream.  Die hards will watch the whole 35 minutes.  Calvin's grandparents might like to know that his song starts at 11:46 minutes.

click here:  Deerwood "Thank You" Pep Fest

No comments:

Post a Comment