Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sorting it All Out

Honey, I'm home. . .

I'm home from Houston.  I had an absolutely awesome trip, right up until that last 25 minutes before my flight.  I don't know why I brought so much stuff.  I brought more stuff than humanly possible to fit in my roller-board and briefcase.  They were stuffed to the gills.  I even brought my own pillow this time in an effort to keep my neck moving in the right direction.  I was embarrassed about the stuff because usually I pride myself on traveling light.

Monday as my friend Casey and I were traveling to the Houston airport we got into a bad traffic jam.  It took us almost two hours to get to the airport.  Then because of confusion with the United/Continental merger I went to the wrong terminal.  Upon stepping foot into the airport I had 25 minutes to get to my flight.  Having non-revved with Bill for years at nwa this did not even raise my heart rate, but I was a little flustered when going through security, out of the blue the TSA agent just point blank tells me my bag was too full.  I sit on it and try to squish it smaller.  I take out some stuff and jump up and down on it.  I'm even later now.  Still have to get to the other terminal.  She says I have to check it.  I take my three pairs of loose shoes and go to the ticket counter to check it and slightly nicer agent says I can't check it because TSA says you have to check bags 45 minutes before the flight.  It is only 20 minutes before the flight. I mumbled something about being platinum on Delta and this was the first time my carry on wasn't accepted and never flying United again (after all United breaks guitars. . . ) and she decided to be my advocate with the TSA woman whom I will refrain from calling a five letter name.  I mumbled something about my great aunt being on her death bed and could they please just make an exception.  I put my hand on the Bible and swore to them that I would never again try to carry on such a bag and they let me through, now even later.   Run, catch tram, run, go down four story escalator, run, go back up four story escalator, run and stick my foot in the closing jet bridge door.  Happy ending.  Shoes are falling out of my purse. I don't care.

So today I'm sorting it all out and thinking about the weekend.  Thank you to Yelena for hosting me Friday night--I love seeing you and talking and thanks for the great soup and breakfast. (Yelena, the picture above is Rosie, my third cat.  Now, don't rush out and get two kittens just because I suggested it. . . )  You are one amazing and independent lady!  Thanks to Marilyn and Noel for the rides and to Carolyn for inviting me and to Fran and all the teachers who work so hard to put on a cool event for their students.  The kids were great as usual.  We had some good laughs at the parent discussions too.  It is an amazing thing to talk with parents and as we talk we sort things out.  What is really important?  Why are we doing this?

Sunday when the workshop was over Cheryl drove me up to Pearland and we got to visit about suburban family life and our families.  I looked forward to that drive.  They dropped art in her daughters' school and she has volunteered to teach the art classes for her girls' classes until things change.  She knows that art is important.

Then my dear friend Casey and I got to visit.  We visit and then eat.  Visit and then sleep.  Visit and then drive the kids to school.  Visit while we get our feet scrubbed and scraped and polished.  Visit while we eat too much again.  Sorting things out.  What is really important?  Why are we doing this?

The woman that helps me clean my house is here this morning.  She has been helping me for eight years now.  We talk about our families and the ups and downs.  As she helps me sort out the volcano that is Mary's room, this morning Delores has some other stuff to sort out.  Emotional stuff.  I listen.  What is really important?

We need teachers and all the different kinds of relationships in our lives to help us sort out the ups and downs and ask those important questions to each other.

I have to go now, my suitcase is dumped out in the closet and I have to find my shoe pairs and sort things out from the kid's weekend here with Bill, but I'm thankful for the fullness of life and all the relationships that help us sort out the really important things--the ups and downs of life.

P.S. Happy Birthday Michele!

No comments:

Post a Comment