Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Glimpses of Grace

My heart goes out to Casey, down in Houston.  She flew her dad there from Tucson and now he is in a hospice house.  Like a good daughter, she is driving back and forth to see him and stay every day and night, in between taking care of her own two boys.

God bless those hospice doctors and nurses.  God bless them.  They see it everyday but we only see it with the person we love.  They make it natural and sacred and dignified and peaceful.  They educate us about that which we never wanted to know.  That which we can't even speak.

You can see that her experience is hitting way too close to home.  I too, read the crappy little brochure. The last weeks of my Dad's life are etched into the very fabric of my being.  Every word.  Every gesture.  Every wink.  Every glimpse of grace.  Every tear and every tender moment.

I can't be there for her.  But I pray that all the right angels show up at just the right times, just like they did for my family. Angels to drive you home and angels to bring a sandwich and angels to just be there.   I pray that they have many glimpses of grace.

My mom and sister will hate me for it, but sometimes you have to go there.  Here is a link to my favorite hymn:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVwHONoLjE.  An angel once gave it to me and I'm passing it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment