Monday, May 14, 2012

Ten Thousand Hits


If the weather were not so completely gorgeous I might be losing my mind this week.  The planets have aligned to put the plant sale delivery, studio concerto fundraising hoopla, my SPTG presentation and meeting, the big choir choral service and my spring studio recital in the same week.  It's all good--just a little too squished together.  Still contemplating the wrist tattoo that says "this too shall pass."  Except that I don't really want to rush through it--I want to do a good job.  Plus I don't have time to sit there in the tattoo shop.

Several of the piano kids played for Reiko Imrie on Saturday.  What a lovely day we had.  I really enjoy watching her teach.  She reminds me of Doris Harrel, she seems to have the ability to get to the bottom of the music.  As Doris would say, the skeleton.  What is really going on here?  What is the message?  The melody and the harmony and the rhythm and the texture all work together to send out the message, most of the time all we have to do to not screw it up is get out of the way.  So, thank you Reiko, the piano kids loved their time with you.

Mother's Day.  I thought about a blog entry on Mother's Day, and what I would say.  I looked back to my entry titled Happy Mother's Day (click to link) from May 2011 and decided I would still say the exact same thing, so go back and read that one again.

Congratulations to my few but faithful blog followers, including my mother, my sister, and my in-laws!  We hit 10,000 blog hits.  I was going to send a prize out to the 10,000th person, but I really have no way of figuring that out.  You may be asking, what entry has had the most visits in 16 months?  Death, Taxes and Laundry. (Click to link)  This entry has far and away the most visits.  It has no mention of music, faith, teaching or parenting, which the blog is supposed to be about.  I'm not taking it personally.  I'm not going to quit and take up professional laundry, though I might be better at it than what I'm doing.  I think the popularity of that essay speaks to the fact that the mundane portions of our lives take up the most energy.  It is the day to day stuff that we must face with creativity and joy if we are to survive as happy people.

Bill leaves for Denver tomorrow.  I'm not sure how I'm gonna pull it all together this week. Calvin has a sign on his bedroom door that he made that says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Yes, this is true, but the sunny whether helps too.

Tonight was the Blackhawk Middle School parent orientation.  I somehow missed the "parent" part and Calvin came along. There were a few other parents with kids there and we bonded with our eyes, knowing that we were among the small quadrant that somehow missed the "parent" part.

Bill asked me on the way home, "What was it about the social studies room that caused you to break down?" Something Lincoln said?  The historical timeline on the smartboard?

It wasn't the stupid social studies room. . . it was the lockers and the gym uniforms and the home economics room and the cafeteria where Calvin will eat at a table looking out to the elementary playground where Mary will be having recess.  I finished the tour choking back sobs.

When we got home Calvin said, "How is the band teacher gonna know I play piano?  Are they gonna know that I don't need to take typing?  (He types some ungodly amount of WPM-with the right fingers) How will they know how much I love computers? How can I be one of the best percussionists if there are so many?"  He's right, it is like starting over.

He will be fine.  I will be fine.  This too shall pass.  I'm not so good with change, but like death, taxes and laundry, it is inevitable.  I must face it with creativity and joy.  And, there is that all things through Christ who strengthens me thing too.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment