Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Childlike Faith

Lord of All Creation
of water, earth and sky
the heavens are your tabernacle
Glory to the Lord on High

God of wonders, beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty
You are holy, holy

Lord of heaven and earth

Early in the morning
I will celebrate the light
And as I stumble through the darkness
I will call Your name by night

Hallelujah to the Lord of Heaven and Earth

As I listen to my son play and sing this Third Day pop hit on the piano, at 6:20 in the morning, as the sun is rising here in Minnesota, he starts tenderly and builds the music to the end, and I have tears in my eyes every time.  It increases my faith.  Can our children strengthen our faith?  I thought parents were supposed to teach their children faith.

I wonder if he knows how many times a day I wonder if anyone is really out there.  How could it be that someone could have created these mountains, this glacier, this rock, this galaxy?  How could it not be?  I guess that is why it is called faith.  It is just faith.  Hope.  Gut wrenching hope.

Just how much am I celebrating the light, and how much am I stumbling in the darkness?  I won't know until after I have my coffee.

Calvin asks me again, "why did God have to kill all the children of Pharaoh?"  We are reading the Bible stories.  Isn't that tit-for-tat?  Is God tit-for-tat? No. No. I don't know, Calvin.  Ask Pastor Paul.

I have my own list of questions to present to God as well.  One of which is: why wouldn't Calvin just take a nap when he was a baby?  The other is, why is there cancer?

Sister Susan asks (happy birthday Susan) why can't God just make some announcements every so often, like he did in the old testament?  Textbook answer: because we have Jesus now.  But. . Jesus isn't exactly appearing in the clouds and performing miracles to increase our faith right now either.

What do we have?

Mary asks what color are God's eyes.  I don't know.  That might be another question for Pastor Paul. . . I only see God's face in people. Children. Nature. Music. I look into her eyes and tell her that today God's eyes must be blue, because I see God's face in her face, and her eyes are blue.

The only God worth believing in did orchestrate the universe, and sent Jesus, and gave my children my husband's eyes and put little faces on pansies.  I guess if I understood it all then God wouldn't be God and I wouldn't be me.  I don't want a God small enough to understand, but, I'm gonna keep trying anyway--there is a long way between here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment