Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fall and the Cello CD

Here in Minnesota it is fifty degrees and raining.  The leaves are starting to turn.  This photo is of the Fall Fiesta Maples my studio bought as a memorial for my dad.  Thanks again, they are beautiful and a perfect yearly celebration of his life, for me, Bill and the kids.  They are growing strong, just like the kids.

I got out the Rostropovich CD of Bach's unaccompanied cello suites.  There are six suites on two disks.  Each suite has seven dances. I don't know all the famous cellists, but he is my favorite.  I don't have a big library of cello music, but this album is top on my list.  I get it out at the end of September every year.  The rich cello sounds remind me of the rich colors of Fall.  It is beautiful and cosy.  It is like crusty French bread.

I heard one of these dance movements on our classical radio station this week--but arranged for saxophone quartet.  The radio announcer was obviously a classical music purist--the sax quartet must have been a listener request.  When it was done she said--isn't it interesting that it takes four saxophones to play one cello line?  Since Bill has played in saxophone quartets, I thought that was pretty funny.  Insert your own off-color joke: how many saxophone does it take to. . .  (Sorry Bill, it is an early birthday jab.)

Anyway, the disk I like is on the EMI classics label.

Mary said, "when I listen to music I clean my room better."  She discovered at a young age that music can enhance our mood and motivate us.  She is gonna need a lot of CDs. . . to clean up that mess.  She is listening to the GO FISH GUYS.  I'm baking birthday cupcakes for her and birthday pie for Bill--to Rostropovich and Bach.  

1 comment:

  1. I think we have some similar tastes Sara. That CD sounds amazing, I wish I had it! Maybe I can track it down somewhere. I also love to listen to music when I'm cleaning (also like it when I'm baking!) My love for Frank Sinatra grew even more because of you guys! Is mary's birthday just around the corner already?! I better run out soon and buy a card!! They have grown so much, it still leaves me stunned. :P I wish the weather here was more fall-like. I miss the changing of colors and the cooler temps. The photo of the maples is beautiful!! We love you guys!

    Love,
    Chevy

    ReplyDelete