Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Doris Koppleman and the Suzuki Community

We mourn the death of Doris Koppleman, one of the cornerstones of our Suzuki Piano Community.   Please see our national website for memorial details.  (www.suzukiassociation.org)

I didn't know Doris Koppleman very well.  Because I lived in Austin, TX, I did my long term teacher training with Doris Harrel and our local group.   But the thing is--almost every teacher I know has taken at least one training course with Doris K.  Many, many of my students have worked with her at institutes around the country. Calvin worked with her for a week out in Beaver Creek a few years ago. They all loved her.  I've been observing her for 23 years at workshops and institutes.  Everyone loved Doris Koppleman.

Her death made me reflect on the Suzuki community. Together--teacher trainers, teachers, parents and students--we knit a tight web.  The web starts with the Suzuki triangle and stretches out across the country and the world to all the teachers and teacher trainers.  We are all on the same team.  We learn with love.  Love for the child, love for the music, and love for each other.  I think that is pretty rare for music training, and I think it is pretty special.

I'm proud to be a Suzuki Piano teacher.  I hope as part of the next generation, I can continue on the path that our mentors have so beautifully paved.

No comments:

Post a Comment