Monday, September 26, 2011

A Place of Leisure-revised

Today for the first time, I took my blog entry for the day off the web.  When I went back to proof read it, it didn't sound like the tone or attitude I intended.  What I meant to say in the entry was--that I am thankful that after ten years of things being a little too crazy--this Fall I have a little more margin.  I did nothing to earn this, but I am thankful for it nonetheless.  Mary is in school, I have fewer students--life is feeling more balanced.  At least a little.

I was trying to be funny and instead,  it sounded kinda pompous.  So, if you read it--forget it--and if you didn't. . . never mind.   Sort the grain from the chaff. . .

Pastor Paul had a sermon a long time ago about how heaven is not a place of leisure.  There is not some destination we seek where there is no work to be done.

For years, I have thought that heaven must be a place where there is enough time.  Enough time to do all the things you want to do.  Read to children, practice piano, garden, spend time with husband, family and friends.  Cook.  Exercise.  Learn.  Help other people.  Enough time to show up for other people.

There is a very famous reference--when we've been there 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun. . .

I think what most of us are after, is not a life of leisure, but of balance.  Like most working moms--I habitually overbook.  I'm working on that.  This Fall is a good chance for me to feel that balance.  To do less and be able to do better at what I am doing.

I also realize that a lot of people don't have a choice to do less--small children--stressed marriages--stressed mortgages. . .

And some choose to do more--my friend Michele is taking a newborn baby into temporary foster care in their home.  I could barely get up in the night for my own children.  God bless her.  I'm amazed.

So, what I meant to say was that I'm thankful for this time, this moment of grace.  To everything there is a season, this Fall is a little bit of heaven on earth, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment