Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Day at Easter Church

So, if you saw the papers in the Twin Cities this morning, you would know that Pastor Kris was installed as our new lead pastor of Easter Lutheran Church today.

Wow.  What a day we had.  Two regular services with a big anthem this morning, then getting all the food ready for the reception after the installation service at 2:00.

I wouldn't have volunteered to coordinate the reception food for just anyone.  It's not like I'm out there looking for volunteer opportunities at this point. . .

Kris is my friend.  So, between our church small group and the Chick Talk ladies, we pulled off pouring about 9 batches of punch, serving twelve pounds of strawberries and about 1,000,000 beautifully decorated home made cupcakes--which was about 996,600 too many.  That's Lutherans for you.  Ask a group of Lutheran women to bring cupcakes and THEY BRING CUPCAKES.

Kris's daughter Annika sang a song with the band, very lovely--the highlight for me!  Calvin read one of the scripture lessons.  The joy of being ten years old is that you don't even think to get nervous to read in front of the Bishop.  I thought he read very thoughtfully, and spoke very clearly.  Of course, I attribute both of these successes to these kids' work at the piano.  I'm only just kidding a little.  They were poised.

The choir performed.  Can I just say that all of our life experiences are valuable.  Had I not had 10 years of playing gigs in bands with all nature of screwed up circumstances, I think I might have thrown-up with nerves or thrown a gasket.  Since the pop band was also playing at the service, the piano was pushed over by the band, away from the choir and the director.  The sound of the piano was distorted with a different EQ coming out of a monitor speaker and I didn't have enough light to see my hands or the music very well.  I couldn't hear the choir much. The piano bench had been replaced by a chair, that was about six inches too low.  All in all, a very uncomfortable performance, for which I was already quite nervous for.  

All's well that ends well.  At least I think it ended okay.  Sometimes you have to just keep putting your fingers on the keys and pushing them down.  You know, the black and white ones. . . and keep looking at all those pesky squiggly black dots on that page. .. and try to listen to the music as it goes by. Try to enjoy the moment.  There were some pretty moments.

The day wasn't about me or the choir or the band or the readers though, it was about Easter Church and the blessing of Pastor Kris to lead it.

God Bless you Kris, and Pastor Jim, and Pastor Paul, and Kevin and Sarah, and Kris Henry with the organ and the choir and Kent and Jason with the band.  God Bless you all as we go forth!  God Bless Easter.

Cupcake anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sarah - for all you did to make that such a special day! You are a one of a kind friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete