Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Far Reaching Branches of the Oak Tree

I have had the privilege of having many inspirational teachers so far in my life. The one I'm thinking of tonight is Dr. Dorris Harrel. Doris is a Suzuki teacher trainer who has cultivated whole communities of music teachers in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio. She has taught all over the world, but her influence is most notable to me, in the great state of Texas. The teachers she has taught have a special bond with her and with each other. These Suzuki teachers share and build each other up, making the group something larger than the sum of the individuals. These are amazing groups of teachers.

Doris is the musical mentor and mother figure to so many of us. She is a person who changed the direction of my life in a profound and musical and loving way. I know that countless other teachers share my extreme emotion. Doris has always set the highest musical standard, never resting until the student "gets it." Yet, she does so with unconditional and deep love for the musician and the music.

I think of all the students and teachers she works with as branches and leaves of living oak tree. I'm so blessed to be a small branch of such a beautiful legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment