Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Power of Polite

Texas is a little bit of a different country sometimes. I worked with a youngster (note Texan slang) this weekend who called me ma'am. He was an eleven-year-old spitfire, a cute musical kid with red hair to match. Without hesitation he said "yes, ma'am" with a twinkle in his eye. After about the fourth "yes ma'am" I think I started to blush and stutter a little. I was smitten.
What is it about folks be'n polite that catches us off guard. Especially them youngsters. . .

The Japanese also have a very polite culture. Having spent considerable time in Japan, my husband tells many stories of the rituals of Japanese manners. I think that by participating in polite rituals, we internalize a little of the actual polite feelings. I think that is part of why the bow is such an important part of the Suzuki lesson.

At the start of the practice, I ask my own children to say "I'm ready to learn now" when we bow. I reply, "I'm ready to be a patient and loving teacher." After the lesson we bow and say, "thank you for the lesson." I ain't sayin' we don't got our moments (end Texan slang). By saying these words, however, there is hope that we might actually internalize a little of these more noble attitudes.

At a yoga class, the instructor greets and dismisses the class with a greeting, "Namaste." I understand this to mean, "I honor the spirit in you which is also in me."

At it's most casual level, the bow is a call to attention, a frame for the lesson. A time to focus. We are starting now. We are finishing now. It is also a sign of respect and a greeting.

At it's most holy it is much greater than a polite gesture. It is a prayer given for the other person. I pray for all my students. I always have.


No comments:

Post a Comment