Friday, January 14, 2011

Off to Austin

It is January 14th and the kids have practiced piano everyday so far this year. I'm leaving for the weekend to teach in Austin, Texas. This has a couple implications.

Bill will practice with the kids on Saturday and Sunday. Probably, I'm just guessing, Calvin will not do perfect repetitions on the Bach Invention for the Twin Cities Suzuki Piano Teacher's Guild recital on January 29th. Probably he will play F Blues along with the Jamie Aebersold CD. Mary will probably put on a fairy costume, wings and all, and beg to play Jingle Bells along with Daddy's saxophone.

The itunes music magic will probably not be playing Suzuki Books 2 and 4 and Chris Liccardo's lovely CDs. Probably they will be listening to Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. The cats will be humming "You Make Me Feel So Young. . . "

They will probably also have chocolate pop-tarts for breakfast.

I will have the blessing of seeing old friends and the privilege of teaching around 20 young students. I will try to give them something special to remember, something to love about music. I will try to deepen their listening and have a little fun.

I guess Bill and I really will be achieving the same goals. Bon voyage. . .

1 comment: