Monday, January 10, 2011

Lesser Sacrifices

Catherine McMichael is a composer and Suzuki teacher from Michigan. We are inspired by the tales of her family's consecutive days of practice incentive. At last I heard, her son was close to 4000 consecutive days of practice. They are planning a trip to Italy or some exotic place to celebrate. Cool. So. I offer an incentive to my children: if you practice all 31 days of January, we will take you out for a treat. I am thinking about a slice of princess torte from the Woullet's Bakery on Grand Avenue in St. Paul. My mouth waters. Calvin yells, "Hey Mary, we get to go to Dairy Queen if we practice all month. . . " I up the anti. We will take it month by month, but if we practice everyday for a year, we can spend a night in a fancy hotel. I'm thinking the Marriott in St. Paul with a pool and Sunday brunch. "Mama, I have always wanted to spend the night at the Wayside Rest in Spring Valley, Minnesota. You know, the one along highway 63 with eight little rooms and the 'vacancy' and 'air conditioned' sign?" Clearly this is not going as well as I hoped. They don't even have coffee there. Probably elicit activities. I offer a distraction. What about the Water Park of America. . .water slides anyone?? I'll pay anything to avoid polyester bedspreads that probably have bed bugs. The kids are gonna think about it, but I'll practice with them anyway, even if I have to fumigate my suitcase. Lesser Sacrifices.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe in inborn talent, but I also think that if one doesn't have exposure at the right ages then it can and will lie dormant. This also applies to exposure to five-star Marriotts. It will beat staying in the Wayside Rest!

    ReplyDelete