Monday, January 24, 2011

When Theology, Psychology, and Pedagogy Coincide

You may have figured out by now, that theology, psychology and pedagogy are three of my favorite subjects. I love it when several sources I'm reading concur. For example, I'm reading theologian John Ortberg's "The Me I Want to Be--Becoming God's Best Version of You." He talks about how God is the source of our talent and work. He suggests: Continually seek to identify and develop your God-given strengths rather than focusing on improving your weaknesses. (pg. 230)

Funny. I read the exact same thing in Edmond Sprunger's book "Helping Parents Practice." He calls it: focus on what's working and repeat it. (pg. 62)

Perhaps, now and then, just maybe, we and our children don't need to be fixed. Maybe we don't need any constructive criticism today. Maybe today we should take what is going good and make it better. Maybe we could even just shut up and enjoy what's actually going right. In psychology this is called seeing the glass as half full.

This morning when I went to unload the dishwasher it was full of mucky brown water. Bill was kind enough to help bail it out before he boarded an airplane for sunny Arizona. (Note yesterday's temperature reading. . . ) Instead of focusing on how I will be washing dishes in a snow storm for several days or weeks until he can order the new pump or whatever the heck is wrong. . . I'm going to instead reflect upon six year old Mary pulling up her stool to the counter and asking if she could help dry the dishes with me. I'm going to be so thankful that I have a nice pair of dishwashing gloves and a pretty view out the window.

Okay. There's still a counter full of dishes and I'm loosing the good attitude. I'm seeing the dishwasher as half empty.

Back to the pedagogy part: when I can HOLD MY TONGUE, that is--hold the constructive criticism, and instead share what went right, the child is much more likely to repeat the happy event with a happy heart. "I just love the way you played that with such rounded hands. Could I hear that again?" Quality repetitions. Mission accomplished.

Bill, I just love the way you always order parts and fix the dishwasher so promptly.
(Shhhh. That's the psychology part. . . ) I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. John ortberg is speaking at Christ Presbyterian in Edina this Saturday! Jan 29

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh heh that dishwasher! but again this is all very true!

    ReplyDelete