Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year! The new year is often a time to reflect on what is going good, and what is not going so good in our lives. I find that when practicing piano with my children, some days are going good, and some days are not going so good. On my best day, I pour the coffee and head to the piano, my beautiful child greets me with a happy heart. Creative productive energy flows. My child is listening to me, as well as the music coming out the instrument. I am amazed at our progress and hugs flow. On the worst day, the coffee machine has overflowed and there are grounds in the machine and all over the counter top. I head to the piano and it seems my child is already angry with me. I threaten. Tears flow. Anger flows.

Dr. Suzuki asks parents and teachers to reflect. It is never the child that needs fixing. It is always us. So what do I have to do to have more good days than bad? I have to be my very best self. This means something different to each mom and each dad. I have learned over the years that I have two basic tools to recharge: solitude and sleep. At certain times both can seem elusive. However, if positive parenting and practicing are contingent upon my attitude, selfish as it may seem, taking care of myself has to be my NUMBER ONE priority. The airlines know this, "secure your own oxygen mask before helping others." How often do we suffocate trying to help our children. My New Year's resolution is to get more sleep. I am often a night owl living in the rooster's barn, but I will have to force myself to go to sleep earlier. Solitude? Well that is something to write about another day, I guess.

I hope the New Year offers you a little time to reflect. It is a win-win. When we are our best selves, we can best facilitate our children to be their very best selves too!

With love, and bon nuit!
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment