Thursday, January 6, 2011

Talent is Not Inborn?

Here I am on the third post, and I already have a true confession. After reading "Ability Development From Age Zero" by Shinichi Suzuki countless times, and teaching parent orientation over the years, I just have to get it on the table that I DO think talent is inborn. I also believe that to deny this is to deny our God given gifts, individualities and personalities. I learned this in the hospital room on two occasions, delivering my two children. One was born screaming. The injustice of it all. Cold, bright, loud, and why the heck are you pouring water on me. . . The other child was born into her daddy's arms cooing and was happily whisked over to have her hair washed, I think she thought it was a spa. So. One child seems to already know the song when I present it. The other child has to start the whole thing over if I skip one day of practice. Personalities? Talents? We try to give our children the same environment but really, not that much has changed since those first breaths.

However, to me the more important question is: can every child learn? Every child can. This I believe with all my heart and everything that is in me. Experts agree. If you are having doubts, a good place to start is with Carol Dweck's book, "Mindsets." I forced--well--highly encouraged, my studio parents to read this after I saw the author speak at the Suzuki Convention. Every child can learn to play the piano. Or tennis, or whatever. I love this book. I believe we can all learn any skill we put our minds to and at a high level of proficiency.

Believing that every child can learn, doesn't mean every family should be a Suzuki family. It is one path. So, whatever path you choose for your family, whatever the personalities and gifts of your children, I hope that you teach them that they can do whatever they put their minds to. Have a growth mindset. Love to learn and learn with love.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I completely agree! Talent is definitely inborn but yes, yes, every child can learn! Fun to hear about your two children and how different they have been since birth - we are seeing the same with our two girls. Thanks for inviting me to your blog! I look forward to future reads!
    Lisa Schoen

    ReplyDelete